Re: Junk Mail

---------

Nick Zitzmann (nickzman@eskimo.com)
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:41:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Wolfram v.Kiparski wrote:

> I'm glad you asked. I was preparing a letter such as yours to go to the
> FAQ maintainers' list
> because I suspected that we are a target audience for the increasing volume
> of junk mail.
> Some junk mailers even tell me something like, "I was just reading your FAQ
> and ..."

Yes, and I've gotten a few of those. Since I'm the FAQ maintainer for the
alt.games.final-fantasy newsgroup, I ocassionally get junk mail from some
people who misinterpret the group name to mean something more of a sexual
nature, then send me phone/video sex ads. I wouldn't be surprised if some
of the other participants on the newsgroup have received them.

> >WARNING: Any and all junk mail sent to my address(es) will be returned to
> >the postmaster of the offending site for inspection.
>
> Nice try, but many of the bad guys forge their headers. I thought I had
> one piece of junk mail
> "positively identified" and complained to the host. I got this reply:
>
> >I'm sorry, this message originated from the UU.NET domain, not from within
> >VoiceNet's network.
> > The VOICENET.COM header information is a forgery.
>
> What to do?

In that case, I'd look at the headers, then notify the postmasters of all
of the involved sites in hope that they might be able to catch the person
doing it.

Recently, some twit named "Fluffy X" started posting a number of huge
(500+ lines) meow cascade messages to a number of newsgroups, including
alt.games.final-fantasy, alt.evil, and others. The poster was using
a news server at ccinet.com, so I complained to the postmaster there and
they replied back, saying that they revoked the user's access. Since then,
the cascades stopped...

> Someone sent me this bit of info, and I was wondering if
> anyone has heard of this:
[...etc...]
> ****
>
> If this is true, then great! But catching the offending parties is
> difficult, and I suspect,
> impossible for most of us.

I see no use for it, unfortunately, because:

* It's not illegal to send junk mail on the InterNet. It's illegal to send
junk mail via FAX, but that's because the FCC regulates that.
* Non-communist governments should not have any power over the InterNet,
IMHO. That would just flare up the fear of government censorship and so
on. It almost happened in Washington (state) a few years ago, and that was
bad enough.
* If you argue that a PPP connection to the InterNet is the same as a
phone line, then what about people who use "real" connections?

Nick Zitzmann http://orion.edmonds.wednet.edu/
(Resident Macintosh Tweaker)
nickzman@eskimo.com (InterNet) "Wow! Neat trick. Sure glad you
zitzmann@edmonds.wednet.edu (Alt.) were backed up..."