Re: Charging for FAQ links?

---------

Edward Reid (faqmail@paleo.greensboro.fl.us)
Fri, 3 Jan 97 19:57:54 -0500

Mama Lani <lani@lava.net> writes:

> | Lani Teshima-Miller, all rights reserved. Permission is granted for
> | it to be reproduced electronically on any system connected to the

'Pears to me you've given them explicit permission to reproduce
it. Your conditions don't say anything about not charging, just

> | long as it is reproduced in its entirety, unedited, and with this
> | copyright notice intact.

Can you complain if they've done exactly as you ask?

The inability to forsee every circumstance is the major reason I
don't try to spell out details. I just say

Re-use beyond the fair use provisions of copyright law
and convention requires the author's permission.

Simplicity has value.

> intact. Note that the "official" web page I list in the FAQ is:
>
> http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/text/faq/usenet/bodyart/top.html

That's brave ... though OSU was up to date the last time I
looked, they were badly out of date for a long time. I haven't
heard any commitment to stay up to date. Until there's an
archive that splits the faq *and* remains reliably up to date,
I'll stick to recommending rtfm as the primary site even for web
browsers.

> spaghetti publishers [...] threatens the continued viability of the FAQ
> system which benefits us all."

Um, how? I don't care for parasites either, but I can't see how
the abuse threatens our viability. The major threat I see is the
fragmentation of the reading audience which is already resulting
from the explosion of web sites.

Edward Reid