Charging for FAQ links?

---------

Mama Lani (lani@lava.net)
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 09:50:38 -1000 (HST)

Hi all;

I maintain a number of FAQs, but in this case I am referring to my FAQs
from rec.arts.bodyart, which are posted to news.answers.

What are most of your policies regarding other people charging for your
FAQs? In my case, I just came across http://www.fleshcanvas.com/main.htm,
which is an ezine that has a subscription fee of $9.95 for three months
(steep in my book).

One of the links available (to subscribers only) from the main page is
the following:

>The Source - Where to get the answers.
>rec.arts.bodyart - FAQs; Q & A forum;
>montly [sic] informational interviews and
>events calendar.

[Yikes--I wouldn't wanna be seeing typos like that for a paid
subscription...]

Since I'm not a subscriber, I can't tell if it's just another page with
links to my FAQs, but I assume so since it says rec.arts.bodyart - FAQs.
I have a pretty longish copyright notice at the front of each FAQ section
(available here if you wanna keep scrolling).

What should I do? Any suggestions? Thanks for any ideas.

Copyright and dissemination notice=================

Subject: Copyright and dissemination

| Under the Berne Convention, this document is Copyright (c) 1996 by
| Lani Teshima-Miller, all rights reserved. Permission is granted for
| it to be reproduced electronically on any system connected to the
| various networks which make up the Internet, Usenet, and FidoNet so
| long as it is reproduced in its entirety, unedited, and with this
| copyright notice intact. Web sites are included. Individual copies may
| also be printed for personal use.

This document was produced for free redistribution. If you paid money
for it, not only did you do so unnecessarily, but none of the money went
to the person who did the work of producing the documents.

Sharing the files on an individual basis:
You may copy, archive (ftp and web pages) and disseminate the entire set
of FAQs electronically and in print on an individual, non-commercial
basis. If you must break up the sections, break them up in the format
already separated for you. Do not create your own sections. Do not add
your own information in the FAQ.

Sharing the files through a BBS:
If you maintain a BBS and wish to have these files available, please
include a notice of how to obtain the most recent copy of the FAQs.

Creating your own html pages for WWW:
Add whatever you want to your pages, as long as you leave my FAQs
intact. Note that the "official" web page I list in the FAQ is:

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/text/faq/usenet/bodyart/top.html

While you are allowed individual copies of the FAQ, that does NOT mean
my FAQ is in the public domain. To quote Jeffrey Knapp, "Lately,
spaghetti publishers have taken to exploiting FAQs and lists, often
publishing them without obtaining written permission. This is an abuse
of copyright laws, and threatens the continued viability of the FAQ
system which benefits us all."

* "Mama Lani" <lani@lava.net>. http://www.lava.net/~lani/ *