Re: INTERNET.CDROM-[finding-sources] (fwd)

---------

Pat Berry (pat@berry.Cary.NC.US)
Mon, 06 Mar 95 22:28:30 EST

tombaker@acs.bu.edu writes:

> In fact, please note that anyone can respond with a
> counter-offer, as Pat did. The guy said (admitted) that he is
> doing this for a (meager) living, so it's not surprising that
> he's more professional than casual about it.

I see nothing professional about his approach. For one thing, if he
can't afford to provide complimentary copies for his contributors, then
he's pricing his CD-ROM too low.

> But he also says he'll accept an email back, and provides the
> opportunity to continue talking.

I don't think so. If we don't agree to his terms, he asks that we
append the word "NO!" to the subject line of our replies so that he can
cross us off his list without bothering to read what we say.

This is consistent with the way he contacted us in the first place. He
has obviously written some kind of script that scans news.answers for
FAQ posts and sends his form letter to the Reply-To address. Remember,
he asked one maintainer for permissions that had already been granted in
the FAQ, and sent the form letter to someone else who only posts a
*pointer* to another person's FAQ. Clearly, he's not even reading our
FAQs.

> This is just his first offer, it looks -- he sounds like he wants to
> negotiate from there to something more reasonable.

I'll be astonished if any of us ever hear from him again.

> I'd rather do business with a guy who asks first, rather than
> others we can think of.

No argument there.