See reader questions & answers on this topic! - Help others by sharing your knowledge
From:  nelsonb@aztec.asu.edu
Date:  Sun Jun 23 1996

According to the experts on news.admin.net-abuse:
     ... as Neil Pawson says, "it's for abuse *of* the net, NOT
     abuse *on* the net." Just because somebody does something vile, we
     don't necessarily want to hear about it on net.admin.net-abuse.
     To qualify as
     true panic-inspiring net-abuse, an act must interfere with the
     net-use of a large number of people. Examples of this: newsgroup
     flooding, widespread or organized forgery campaigns, widespread or
     organized account hackery, widespread or organized censorship
     attempts...

However, much which is not considered net abuse, are very serious
violations of Netiquette.  Netiquette is explained in RFC
1855 Netiquette Guidelines which can be found at:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc-index.html

More information on net abuse, and how you can do something about it can
be found in the Net Abuse FAQ which is posted in the following news groups
news.admin.net-abuse.misc, news.groups.questions and news.answers.
It is also available at:
http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html

Even more information can be found on the WWW page "Everything You'd
Rather Not Have To Know About Net-Abuse" :
http://www.tezcat.com/~haz1/netabuse/netabuse.html

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

Top Document: [rec.scouting.*] Newsgroups Help and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ 1)
Previous Document: How to handle inflammatory postings
Next Document: Chain Letters and other fraudulent posts

Single Page

[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index ]

Send corrections/additions to the FAQ Maintainer:
nelsonb@aztec.asu.edu (BILL NELSON)

Last Update March 27 2014 @ 02:12 PM