Re: Trouble with Approved line

---------

David Novak (director@cn.net.au)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 08:45:41 +0800

Back to me again.

Thanks all for explaining this little conundrum. In summary, any approval
line is likely to get me into any moderated newsgroup. Obviously a simple
solution would be to post my faq separately to the alt.news groups and
separately to other, potentially moderated newsgroups. (Will this give
problems with comp.answers if I have no comp newsgroups in the newsgroup line?)

As to the other thing, here is one of the more colourful messages I
received. This "usenet abuse reporting service" sounds interesting...

Before we go through it again, yes I admit to posting unannounced, and
regret that. Obviously that was the wrong thing to do.

X-From_: cphillip@MATH.Purdue.EDU Sat Sep 20 04:44:24 1997
From: Chris Phillips <cphillip@MATH.Purdue.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:16:52 -0500 (EST)
To: cn.net.au@abuse.net, grunge80.nv.iinet.net.au@abuse.net
Subject: usenet abuse (forged posting) by David Novak (david@cn.net.au)
Cc: dan@math.uiuc.edu

Dear Postmaster,
One of your users (David Novak (david@cn.net.au)) has posted
3 off topic articles to a moderated newsgroup (sci.math.research) by
forging "Approved" headers. I attach copies of the postings. Please
note that they are unethical for two reasons. First, they circumvented
the required moderator approval by deliberate forgery. Secondly, they
have nothing to do with the topic of the newsgroup (despite the use
of the word "research"; mathematical research is has nothing to do with
searching the internet).
In view of this deliberate deception and intrusion, I ask
cn.net.au to terminate the account and remove the associated www page
http://cn.net.au, and I ask grunge80.nv.iinet.net.au to take steps to
ensure that this poster never posts through that machine again.
Thank you very much.
---Chris Phillips
P.S. The moderator of sci.math.research has confirmed to me in email
that the "Approved" headers were forged. He is Dan Grayson, dan@math.uiuc.edu.
Here are the illegal postings:

David Novak
Community Networking