Re: Approval headers

---------

Devin Reade (gdr@eddore.myrias.com)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:10:52 -0700 (MST)

Thanks to everybody for the help. It appears that I dump in the
the approval header then crosspost to all relevent groups (as specified
in my original submission) through the normal posting mechanism
(inews, in my case).

Pam wrote:
> The faq-server posting 'bot that we run doesn't use the Approved:
> header for security;

It wasn't the faq-server 'bot that I was talking about; it was whatever
'bot you have running that handles posts to the moderated *.answers
groups. (ie: The address to where the news transport layer will
redirect anything posted to *.answers.)

> it can only be used for articles posted to
> news.answers in the first place. The password you chose when you
> first ADDed your article to the faq-server is what keeps others from
> overwriting it there.

For the record, I'm using the auto-faq package and a cron job to
post it. That way (and through the use of other cron jobs) the newest
version is always taken out of my cvs repository without the need
for intervention.

I guess I won't worry about rogue posters fudging my headers until
it happens. Procrastination is king.

Devin

--
Everybody lies about sex.