Controlling outdated FAQs (was Re: Preventing mirroring)

---------

Laurent Duperval (laurent@Grafnetix.COM)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:07:41 -0500 (EST)

On 12 Mar, John Moulder wrote:
>> In the several years I have been maintaining the comp.lang.tcl FAQs,
>> I've only been successful _once_ in convincing a mirror site to
>> upgrade their copy of my FAQ. Note that there are _hundreds_ of
>> copies, many of which are ancient.
>
> I also find hundreds of pointers to my FAQs that point to out-dated or dead
> archive sites.

So how about putting a link or a list at the beginning of your FAQ
which points to the approved mirroring locations for your FAQ. That
way, when people put it on their sites, there is a warning at the
beginning of the FAQ that says that if they aren't on the approved
mirrors, they may not have the proper version of the FAQ. At this
point, it's probably too late for existing FAQs but might be useful for
future FAQs.

--
Laurent Duperval, Systems Analyst       Grafnetix Systems Inc.
Tel: (514) 861-3389                     777, de la Commune Ouest