Re: Dealing with spam

---------

Philip Blundell (pjb27@cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 00:54:50 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> My point is what was suggested won't do any good... eventually. I
> really believe that the only way to combat spam is at the receiving
> end. Kinda backwards but...

I agree. I'm quite fortunate in that I get my email through the
university here, and their postmasters are pretty vigilant about spotting
spam and blocking it on the main Cambridge mail machines. This seems to
be an effective policy - the MTA they use allows them to block both on
sender address (useful for small-time spammers) and on the IP address of
the delivering machine (useful for big spam factories like cyberpromo).

Since most spammers seem to work alphabetically, and my userid starts with
`p', most spam is blocked before it gets to me. :)

I realise this isn't much help to most people. But if enough big sites
blocked known spam-merchants then it might become an unprofitable-enough
business that people would stop bothering. We can hope, anyway.

p.