Re: Not a CD-ROM, but a book

---------

Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Thu, 11 May 1995 14:01:03 -1000

Tom Galloway wrote:
> I noticed a new book titled "Best of the Net" "by" Seth Grodin (sp?) in the
> stores. It seemed to consist of two page spreads on various topic interests,
> with a few paragraphs of original text, but the bulk being material taken
> directly from FAQs (at least in my case for Comics). On the plus side, there's
> what I assume is a FAQ-keeper credit list way up in the front of the book

I have seen something similar in _The Internet: The Official Book of
Public Television's "The Internet Show"_, by Paul Hoffman. IDG Books.
On page 121, they listed two whole paragraphs word for word from the
Tattoo FAQ as an example of helpful usenet FAQs. The passage they
quote is the section about how to look around a tattoo shop.

The problem is, they didn't credit me *OR* which newsgroup the Tattoo
FAQ is posted in (rec.arts.bodyart). I wasn't too keen on that, esp.
since my FAQ *states* that reporters and writers need to contact me
(just so I am aware about what's being published).

> is made up of FAQ material, it would've been nice to send out copies, as
> well as at least offer FAQ keepers the opportunity to pick what parts of the
> FAQ are included and write the material about their area of interest (the

I might not have asked for a copy of the book, but an acknowledgement
somewhere would've been nice--as would have an email message letting
me know they were going to do this. It's kind of like finding your
daughter published in Playboy. ;-P

Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.edu) "Sea Hare" o/ /_/_/
UH School of Library & Info Studies. "Whatever the cost of our o|<0_0>------*
libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant \=^-| |_| |
nation." -Walter Cronkite [R.a.b.bit--FAQ Maintainer: "Think Ink!"] \_B}\_B}