Re: Dealing with requests for faq by e-mail

---------

Peter J. Kappesser (pjkappes@mailbox.syr.edu)
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 01:37:21 -0500

Recently Henry van Cleef <vancleef@bga.com> wrote:
>I don't know what the rest of you do, but I notice that every time I
>post the faq, complete with expiration date, I get a bunch of e-mail
>requests for copies of various pages, claiming either that the faq
>didn't come through on a specific system, or has expired off of their
>system. I still don't have approval to post to news.answers (have been
>waiting since 1-13), so copies are still not being archived. Still, if
>these postings are on systems that aren't honoring the Expires: header,
>they will get expired from everything.

FYI, it seems news.answers approval is backlogged by about four weeks. I
just received approval for FAQs I'd submitted in the middle of December.

>What approaches do other people take when getting requests like this? I
>sometimes feel I've got a mail list going as a side business.

I don't get many requests so it doesn't bother me; I usually just send it.
It is annoying when someone -posts- asking for the FAQ -- and my email reply
(complete with FAQ) bounces! Grr. In this case they'll have to wait for the
next regular posting.

Is there any way you can make the faq available on your own FTP, or web
page? I'm about to set up a simple web page for the FAQs I post (which are a
couple I write, plus several I post by proxy for others). The files
themselves will still be plain text, but this will make them accessible in
between postings, and I could have a weekly posting with a pointer to the
page. They'll also actually be more up-to-date than the rtfm archive, if the
maintainer has sent me a revised version that hasn't been posted yet.

--
"What if the humpback whales are scat-singing?"
pjkappes@mailbox.syr.edu (Peter Kappesser)