Unsolicited press releases

---------

Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 16:11:01 -1000

J.D. Falk says:

> ...am still receiving at least one press release a week...
> ...I'd suggest just politely asking that you be taken
> off their mailing list, stating that you are not interested. If it
> continues, contact their postmaster or administrative contact.

Our office gets unsolicited fax ads and press releases all the time,
taking up *our* resources (paper and toner) when we have NO interest
in their products/services.

We now have a standard fax reply that we send back (while they rarely
give us more than the ad itself, they always have their originating
fax number on the top of the transmittal) to them, stating, "We
received the following unsolicited advertisement/press release from
your organization via fax today. Please do not send us any faxes
unless specifically requested for by our faculty/staff. Continuing to
do so will result in your company being listed on our "Do not do
business with" list. Thank you."

This seems to have worked wonders. While it costs us a little extra
for the long distance fax call, we found it well worth our trouble in
the longer run.

Perhaps you can do something similar via email.

Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.edu) "Sea Hare" o/ /_/_/
UH School of Library & Info Studies. "Whatever the cost of our o|<0_0>------*
libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant \=^-| |_| |
nation." -Walter Cronkite [R.a.b.bit--FAQ Maintainer: "Think Ink!"] \_B}\_B}