Re: More FAQ formalities [flamage]

---------

L. Detweiler (ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu)
Tue, 30 Nov 93 00:18:42 -0700

rsk@gynko.circ.upenn.edu (Rich Kulawiec)

>> chill out, dear sir. NONE OF THESE STANDARDS ARE MANDATORY. if you can
>> get into it, fine. if you can't no problem. but don't be SUCH A GROUCH
>> about people who are trying to kickstart the future!
>
>I find this condescending, I'm-a-visionary-but-you're-all-blind attitude
>highly offensive, especially given the mountain of work that various people
>on this mailing list have done in an attempt to promote information sharing.
>Where the *hell* where you, L. Detweiler, when we were busy plugging
>together Usenet with 1200 baud modems, buggy UUCP and news implementations,
>and buried phone bills ;-) over 10 years ago? Where were you when we first
>began to play with the idea of a "periodic posting", before we even
>came up with "FAQ"? And which FAQ's do you author? What site are
>you the mail/news/ftp admin for? What piece of mail/news/ftp/gopher/etc.
>software did you write as your contribution? In short, what the heck
>have you done to "kickstart the future" other than to attempt to tell
>us what *we* should do?

holy cow, I've started a holy war.

Mr. Kulawiec, my prose definitely did not deserve this kind of
seething, vicious, searing personal attack.

The point, obviously, for anyone who doesn't have a hair-trigger
flame-finger and a chip on their shoulder about all the work they have
done beyond everyone else, was:

some people are going to try to develop these new FAQ standards. either
leave them alone or help, but *please* DO NOT ATTACK THEM AS ARROGANT
CONDESCENDING JERKS. You have done an outstanding job of the latter!

Boy, I sure know what the FAQ maintainer hot buttons are. The #1 hot button:

DAMMIT,YOU JUST AREN'T DOING ENOUGH.

hee, hee -- that's a JOKE SON. like all the other sentences in my prose
that you quoted to BURN MY HAIR OFF. ssssssst where's the fire extinguisher?

geez, *everyone* here has put in a lot of work into FAQs. Some people
like you, Mr. Kulawiec, deserve the utmost honor in the FAQ hall of
fame for your long term commitment. I appreciate you listing your
accomplishments in meticulous detail for me, a whiny FAQ visionary, who
has never personally bowed before you before posting onto the faq-maintainers list.

>I suspect that few of us are prepared to listen to someone who does
>the electronic equivalent of walking into an ongoing discussion and making an
>opening statement telling us how backward and wrong we are.

HELLO EVERYONE I am just an INNOCENT BYSTANDER who coined the term UFF
after JEFF BLAINE (?) started this HOLY FLAME WAR and then
UNSUBSCRIBED. I've made some suggestions about a NEW MAILING LIST but
NOT ONE OF MY STATEMENTS ridiculed anyone for not making a PERSONAL CONTRIBUTION.

look, I agree! you are all overburdened! so am I! geez! I don't know
why anybody is doing this with so much pent up hostility. blame the
next guy who uses the word GROUCH in his message. youch, another hot button!

>Almost
>none of us have gotten a nickel for our efforts, or expect to, or want to.

Apparently, then, judging by your flame, your motivation is
Recognition. Well, my apologies for not addressing that issue.

I'm trying to find ways of *rewarding* everyone for their labor! geez!
go ahead, get out your flamethower again! I'm totally out of asbestos
underwear! yeeks, call the Intensive Care Burn Unit. this is what I
call a chip the size of a Warship.

we now return you to our regularly scheduled program.