Paying for FAQs (was Re: More FAQ Formalities)

---------

ron c carman (rccarm00@mik.uky.edu)
Sun, 28 Nov 93 21:38:57 -0500

Subject: Paying for FAQs (was Re: More FAQ formalities)

banksie@khantazi.actrix.gen.nz writes:

>"L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu> writes:

>> Hold on just a little longer. It won't be long before we get a
>> transaction server going where you can get incremental charges for
>> every access. And you will have a head start on all the other people
>> who want to get rich quick by already having a highly refined FAQ and a
>> great reputation, and one that supports *all* the formats that people
>> are paying $ for!
>
> Ughhh, appeals to base greed. The day I charge for people to use/read my FAQ
>is the day I stop doing it. I am not writing the thing as a get rich scheme.
>And frankly the idea of such is somewhat distasteful.
>
>> All you whiny FAQ maintainers are going to have a whole new attitude when
>> you face the competition! <g>

After reading through no less than *38* messages in my mail box from
this list alone today, I come upon this, and can't help but comment. It's
interesting to note that among those 38 were no less than 3 "unsubscribe"
requests from Jeff Blaine (jblaine@ma.itd.com), who if I'm not mistaken,
started this whole mess in the first place... ;)

I also find the idea of commercial interests becoming prevalent on
the Internet unappealing at best. I think this quote is approprate:

"We must insure that no one can buy us off Internet,
off the public airways, or off the telecommunications
system.

How do we do that? We regulate these monopolies to
make sure that some of our public space is reserved
for the truly *free* exchange of ideas and messages,
uncorrupted by money-exchangers, unpolluted by
influence-peddlers, undiluted by mass-market junk
food for the mind. We've done it before, we'll have
to do it again.

We need some public cyberspace."
-- John N. Berry III
Editor-in-Chief
"Library Journal"
October 1, 1993

Ron Carman

| Ron C. Carman || That's the trouble with feeling as if you're |
| rccarm00@mik.uky.edu || on top of the world. It's always a sure sign |
| rccarm00@ukpr.uky.edu || you and it are about to switch places. |
| U.S. SnailMAIL: P.O. Box 24352 Lexington, KY 40524-4352 |