Re: More FAQ formalities

---------

L. Detweiler (ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu)
Sun, 28 Nov 93 00:29:51 -0700

youch. try to be a revolutionary and you get branded as a terrorist. I
knew I was treading on thin ice talking about $. People always get
upset when they see a $. If I write $$$, people get three times as
upset. It's just too damn upsetting.

banks_p@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz
> Ughhh, appeals to base greed. The day I charge for people to use/read my FAQ
>is the day I stop doing it. I am not writing the thing as a get rich scheme.
>And frankly the idea of such is somewhat distasteful.

chill out. people write books for money. and their motivation is very
similar to what propels people to write FAQs at the root: interest in a
subject, with a potential monetary reward on the side. look, I'm
proposing extremely tiny transaction charges associated with retrieval.
This *is* going to happen in a few months or a few years. And people
like you will look kind of silly ranting against it.

>Now that statement just plain pisses me off. In all of the wonders of the
>new formats you have forgotten about FAQ maintainers like me. I have a *UUCP*
>connection to the rest of the world. Nothing more. How do you propose I
>maintain one of these whizz-bang FAQs in the new format when I *can't* *run*
>*the* *thing* on *my* machine?

chill out, dear sir. NONE OF THESE STANDARDS ARE MANDATORY. if you can
get into it, fine. if you can't no problem. but don't be SUCH A GROUCH
about people who are trying to kickstart the future!

>> whoever is SERIOUS about getting a UFF format together, PLEASE PLEASE
>> PLEASE START A MAILING LIST. Maybe JIK can hear me <g>
>
> Oh please do take it to another mailing list. I am getting heartily sick of
>the topic.

excuse me, but you are flaming me for proposing exactly what you suggest.

are you always this grouchy, or do you just play a Grouch on the net? <g>

Seems to me only Jef Poskanzer has ever flamed me this much before on
$'s and FAQs. Sometimes, a criticism by a scoundrel is the same as a
compliment by a gentleman.