Re: mail is sent double

---------

Steve Summit (scs@eskimo.com)
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 15:45:37 -0800

In <9312101910.AA21306@brando.uwasa.fi>, Timo wrote:
>>> Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so: I get lots of mail from this
>>> mailing list twice. And I know at least other three persons do.
>>
>> Yep, happens to me too.
>
> Of course it happens to you (and to anyone getting an email reply),
> if the fellow users keep on applying a Carbon Copy (Cc:) to
> faq-maintainers@MIT.EDU. One should edit the reply header and reply
> to (To:) faq-maintainers@MIT.EDU, with no carbon copy. A note I
> made almost immediately after joining this fine mailing list a
> couple of months ago. That is all there is to it.

Of course, there is also the possibility of receiving zero
copies: due to mailer problems here I've only seen snippets of
this thread; apologies if I inadvertently repeat anyone's
arguments.

I'm sorry people are upset by receiving multiple copies in this
case. My mail-replying filter always arranges to send copies
both to the original sender and to all CC recipients, so the
sender will receive two copies if he's also on the mailing list,
which is exactly the current complaint. Now, I wrote my
mail-replying filter, so I could change its behavior if I wanted
to, and I'm also eminently comfortable with editing mail headers
while composing messages. But I've always been aware of this
duplicate copy problem, and explicitly sending copies both to the
originator and the list is my intended and preferred action, for
two reasons:

1. You can send messages to a mailing list without being a
member of it. If I want the sender to see my reply (as I
usually do), I don't want to assume that the sender
receives the mailing list.

2. When you get a lot of mail, it's easy to pay less
attention to mailing list mail than to private mail.
Some people have mailing lists routed to different
mailboxes, or to local Usenet-style newsgroups.
I'm always more interested in messages to a mailing list
(or newsgroup) which are in reply to something I've said,
and I assume that many others feel the same, so it seems
appropriate to address a copy to them directly.

My mail software makes it trivial to run diff on two messages to
verify that they are identical, and to delete one copy if so.
Does yours?

Steve Summit
scs@eskimo.com