Re: Is *.answers available via gopher/WWW/WAIS?

---------

Rik Harris (rik@rdt.monash.edu.au)
Wed, 01 Dec 93 13:38:27 +1100

Ed Vielmetti wrote:
> Here's my question: are any or all of the *.answers groups available via any
> gopher, WWW or WAIS server? If so, I'd like to include a pointer in my FAQ
>
> to an appropriate server.
>
> there is a wais server called 'usenet' which has *.answers in it. i
> search it all the time, mighty handy. jik maintains it.
>
> various people have done www and gopher versions of these as well, but
> for my $0.02 this is where wais works the best - to help you find out
> which of the many faqs are relevant to your search. once you have
> found the right one, it can be handy to have a hypertext-ized version,
> but all the hypertext in the world doesn't help if you are starting
> from the wrong place.

Exactly. Which is why you use the WWW searching facilities to find
the correct FAQ, which you can then happily hypernavigate to your
heart's content. I haven't used WAIS with a basic WAIS client for a
long time.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if this is set up for FAQs (this is mentioned
in the "future direction" page of Tom's FAQ server), I just think that
it is an acceptable user model.

rik.

--
Rik Harris - rik.harris@vifp.monash.edu.au              || Systems Programmer
+61 3 560-3265 (AH) +61 3 565-3227 (BH)                 || and Administrator